Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blog Description

I am only a student. I am taking my first ceramics course and hope this blog will enhance this experience. I know there will lumps and bumps along the way, but I am willing to give my best effort and make this introduction to clay a great one. I appreciate and welcome any tips, tricks and advice more experienced potters may have to offer. I hope the information that I research will help others explore and develop an appreciation for this exciting medium.

This blog will attempt to provide an introduction into hand forming and the technical processes of working with clay. It will explore hand building with terracotta as a way to make both functional and expressive works out of clay. We will work through many different building methods, such as coiling, pinching, slab building, and the use of molds. This blog will also focus on different methods of decorating and glazing earthenware. No prior ceramic experience is needed for this blog (as I have none either!). Open-mindedness, a willingness to experiment with different techniques and materials, and a desire to work with clay are necessary.

No comments: